Prevent Cancer Now began with a long distance telephone discussion among 15 Canadians in various parts of the country in December 2004. We decided that Canada needed a bold new initiative to focus on primary cancer prevention, to balance costly, seemingly endless searches for cancer cures, and attempts to control cancer through more widespread screening and early diagnosis. In 2007, after finalizing our constitution and bylaws, Prevent Cancer Now was legally incorporated.
- Launched the Cancer Prevention Declaration in mid-May 2006.
- Have published and distributed An Ounce newsletter since January 2007
- Coordinated a letter-writing drive encouraging the Canadian Cancer Society to support a ban on asbestos.
- Organized a major national conference on cancer prevention (It’s About Prevention. It’s About Time!) in Ottawa, May 2007. The focus was on building a national cancer prevention movement, and establishing a firm agenda for cancer prevention in Canada.
- Promoted and supported the development of the book Cancer: 101 Solutions to a preventable epidemic.
- Launched an anti-incineration campaign in 2008 and developed an Incineration Tool-Kit for concerned citizens in January 2009.
- Promote policies and programs that eradicate exposures to carcinogens and other health hazards, through an ongoing Toxic-Free Future campaign.
- Promote policies and programs that support sustainable and healthy organic agriculture, through an ongoing Organic Nation campaign.